This is just a preliminary post until I get to sorting out records from the past three days properly. On Monday I obtained samples of Arabidopsis thaliana (Thale Cress) from four populations on Skye: leaves in silica gel for DNA work, stem specimens in alcohol for assessment of woodiness and fruits so that seeds can be grown on. I will be some time before we know what is found, but the situation looks more complex than I expected with most populations showing some individuals with a possible tendency towards woodiness.
Whilst on Skye I also checked an Equisetum that I think may be a hybrid. I have sent images to an expert and have a specimen that could follow. From there I went to check on a Ribes that I found three years ago and which I thought was R. spicatum (Downy Currant). It is in a small limestone grike and is still a small plant with no flowers/fruits so I cannot check hypanthium shape, which would be diagnostic. However, it is really hairy and I think I am convinced that it is this species. This is some considerable distance from known sites on Skye.
After that I went to look for Epipactis atrorubens (Dark-red Helleborine) in the only 10km square in the vice-county for which there was a pre-2000 record but none since. That worked, though I only found one plant. A thorough search during flowering time might do better. I also found on the nearby shore, Catabrosa aquatica (Whorl-grass) which also needed a recent record for the hectad.
Tuesday was the Skye & Lochalsh SWT trip to Rum. I spent the day in the Kinloch area and added a few interesting records of which more later.
Kinloch Castle, Rum
Today, I had a limestone fix near Suardal on Skye. I found several nice things including the Lycopodium annotinum (Interrupted Clubmoss) found on Skye last year:
Melica nutans (Mountain Melick) which is rare in the vice-county
and lots and lots of Dryas octopetala (Mountain Avens):
Again, perhaps more later.